At Free Soul we're so grateful to be surrounded by a vast network of incredible women. Each are experts in their fields, and often we're lucky enough to have them provide us (and you!) with their knowledge to help you level up your wellness from a new perspective. Marilia, a.k.a gutfulness nutrition, is a registered nutritional therapist and gut health expert, and with her help you’ll be living your nutritional best life…
As a passionate nutritional therapist specialising in gut health, I've spent years helping women achieve their wellness goals through personalised nutrition. I've been asked many times about my own skincare routine, and I'm excited to share it with you today.
Achieving radiant, healthy skin is more than just what you put on your skin – it's also about what you put in your body. Here's a peek into my daily skincare routine that supports my skin from the inside out.
Glow from the Inside Out
I firmly believe that the foundation of healthy, vibrant skin starts from within. That's why I pay careful attention to my diet. I make sure to include plenty of skin-loving foods that are rich in micronutrients that are important for skin health:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: These essential fats are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and ability to improve skin elasticity. I make sure to include fatty fish like salmon or mackerel in my meals a few times a week. I also enjoy chia seeds, flaxseeds, and walnuts as plant-based sources of omega-3s.
- Vitamin C: This powerful antioxidant helps protect the skin from free radical damage and supports collagen production. I make sure to include strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, tomatoes in my meals.
- Vitamin E: Another antioxidant, vitamin E, helps protect the skin from UV damage and keeps it moisturised. I enjoy snacking on almonds, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds.
- Zinc: This essential mineral supports skin cell production and helps reduce inflammation. I incorporate zinc-rich foods like pumpkin seeds, lentils, and chickpeas into my diet.
- Polyphenols: Powerful plant compounds that help protect the skin from environmental stressors. I drink a cup of green tea or matcha daily and enjoy dark chocolate in moderation.
Hydration is key to maintaining skin elasticity, I always carry a reusable water bottle and aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I make a habit of slowly drinking 2 glasses of water upon waking up - most of us wake up dehydrated, so after hours of sleep it’s important to rehydrate.
Love Your Liver
Another important aspect of my skincare routine involves supporting my liver's natural detoxification process. A well-functioning liver is essential for clear, radiant skin, as it helps remove toxins from the body. Here are some ways I naturally support my liver:
- Liver-Loving Foods: I include foods in my diet that are known to support liver health. For example, cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower.
- Limit Processed Foods and Alcohol: I minimise my intake of processed foods, unhealthy fats, and alcohol, as these can overburden the liver.
- Herbal Teas: I enjoy a few cups of herbal tea daily, such as dandelion or milk thistle. These herbs are known to support liver health and aid in detoxification.
Choose Your Skincare Products Carefully
When it comes to skincare, I opt for products that are free from parabens, PEGs, sulphates, GMOs and PPGs. Anything that you put onto your skin is absorbed and can affect your health in the long term.
Mindful Skincare Routine
I believe in taking the time to connect with myself through a mindful skincare routine. I make a ritual of cleansing, toning, moisturising, and using targeted treatments. Twice a week, I indulge in a face mask, giving me a moment to relax and unwind. This self-care time helps me unwind and reconnect with my body.
Supplement Your Way to Beautiful Skin
Protein is a vital nutrient for healthy skin. It provides the building blocks aka amino acids for repair and regeneration of skin cells, ensuring a youthful and radiant complexion.
As a nutritional therapist, I understand the importance of getting the right balance of macronutrients in our diets and from clinical experience I know it can be challenging to get enough protein, especially if you have specific dietary restrictions or an active lifestyle. I personally incorporate Free Soul's specially formulated Vegan Protein Blend into my daily routine to ensure I meet my daily protein requirement - not only does it support my skin's health, but it also fuels my body with other micronutrients it needs to stay strong and vibrant.
By Marilia Chamon, Registered Nutritional Therapist, Gut Health & IBS Expert