Summer is here! And as the temperatures rise our bodies tend to crave lighter, refreshing meals to start the day. Summer is the perfect season to change up your breakfast options and make the most of the gorgeous abundance of fresh foods to make nutritious breakfasts that fuel our bodies and keep us energised throughout the day. Starting the day with a good quality breakfast will supports your energy levels, mood, following food choices and help prevent cravings or overeating later in the day. To give you some new and fun inspiration here are three of my favourite summer breakfast recipes that I eat on repeat as a nutritionist during the warmer months. Enjoy!
Greek Yoghurt & Fruit Bowl
Fresh fruit and yoghurt bowls are a simple, delightful and versatile option for summer breakfasts. Not only are they packed with essential nutrients, but they also offer a refreshing and satisfying start to your day.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup assorted fresh fruit (e.g. berries, sliced banana, diced mango, kiwi, etc.)
- 1/4 cup low-sugar granola
- Optional: chopped nuts, seeds, or nut butter
- Cut fruit into bite-sized pieces. To a bowl add yoghurt, fruit and granola. Top with nuts, seeds or 1 tsp nut butter if you desire.
Very Berry Protein Smoothie
A protein smoothie is an excellent choice for a quick and refreshing breakfast. Packed with protein, essential vitamins, and minerals, smoothies are a convent way to get the necessary nutrients to keep you satiated and energised in the morning.
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 scoop Vanilla Free Soul Vegan Protein Blend
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any preferred milk)
- Add all ingredients to a blend and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into a glass and enjoy.
- Note: fresh or frozen berries are great or can be subsisted for other in-season fruit for fun different flavour combinations.
Mango Overnight Bircher
By preparing the bircher the night before, you can enjoy a ready-to-eat breakfast packed with fibre, vitamins, and minerals in minutes. Adding fresh mango (or your favourite fresh summer fruit) to the mix makes it a summery and light start to the day.
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or any preferred milk)
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- Optional toppings: additional shredded coconut, sliced almonds, or fresh berries
- In a bowl or container, combine rolled oats, chia seeds, coconut, yoghurt and almond milk.
- Add the diced mango and stir well to ensure all the ingredients are combined.
- Cover the bowl or container and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- In the morning, give the bircher a stir and add your preferred toppings.
Incorporating a variety of breakfast options into your summer mornings not only keeps your morning routine exciting but also helps to provide a range of essential nutrients to support your overall nutrition and health. Summer is a fun time to embrace the abundance of delicious seasonal ingredients and fruit to help maximise both the flavour and nutritional value of your meals. Try adding yoghurt bowls, protein smoothies and overnight bircher into your breakfast rations, and feel free to get creative by customising these recipes to suit your preferences.
Written by Harriet Lidgard
Nutritionist (BSc) & Health Coach